Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lars and the Music Girl

A word from Lil' O about Lars:

Lars is one of the most excited people I have ever known and he finds things to love wherever he goes. Within a month of being in Los Angeles, he already had a routine of favorite places to go and favorite things to do. He's a people person like I've never seen before and he has an enthusiastic energy that is totally infectious.

Lars' Story:

Kali B and I met in Sydney, Australia working at the Olympics together in 2000. I always knew that our kindred paths would cross again in a later chapter of our lives and love that we are now neighbors in the LA area. She puts the fa-la-la into this lala land and makes every day feel like Valentine's day. Her 20 bucks are just a creative extension of the love that she naturally emits.

While Kalimba and I have global roots, I felt it important to act locally in passing on her unexpected gift. I live a short walk from the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and think of it as my playground. I'm often struck by the dichotomy of the affluent and beautiful people who stroll by by day and our homeless neighbors who try to find comfort on the benches at night. Not knowing how best to support those in need, I found someone who is already doing this work for us, transcending what divides us and uniting what is within all of us with her song.

My musical muse is named Chelsea Williams and as a street performer she touches the lives of anyone who hears her angelic voice. Whether dancing with the kiddies or laughing off the awkward advances of the elderly homeless, Chelsea plays the heartstrings of each passer by, rain or shine. This girl was born with a singing soul and has a future so bright you need sunglasses to watch her play that guitar. The other day I was out for a run and ran into her between sets and she bought me a drink with some money from her tip jar. She told me that her car had just broken down and that things were tough as she and her mom are just trying to make it. Kalimba's 20 bucks made their way into Chelsea's tip jar a few weeks later along with a quick story about the matriarch who was passing on the kindness and support. Chelsea was truly touched and added a footnote of her own delivered with a sly smile, "I feel so honored, tell Kalimba that I won't blow it all on blow!"

No comments: