Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sallie the Balloon Girl

A word from Lil' O about Sallie:

Top three things about Sallie: 1) She's wonderfully, wildly creative 2) She's always up for an adventure 3) She's a fantastic friend. Add these to a a mile long list including beautiful, kind, sarcastic, hard working, smart, and you've got yourself a "Sallie". The way she decided to dispurse her $20 is a perfect expression of what I think is fabulous about her.



Sallie's Story:

I received Kalimba's invitation and immediately started brainstorming ways to spend my twenty bucks. I decided I would buy ten silver Mylar balloons to give to various people, with a note attached asking the recipient to pass their balloon to someone else, but not before donating whatever they could to someone in need. Basically, I wanted the balloons to exponentially expand the twenty dollars and reach as many people as possible in a concentrated amount of time. And I would even create a website so people could log their experiences. It was a little overzealous, to say the least.


Back home in Santa Monica, I thought the Promenade would be a great location for my experiment; it was December, people would be out shopping, feeling the holiday spirit. So I created the website (http://www.passtheballoon.com/),bought the balloons from a local party shop, and wrangled my hesitant husband to help distribute them.


It didn't go as well as I'd imagined. First of all, there was this really annoying guy following us around, saying "You can't tie balloons to posts or rails." Assuming he was some sort of Promenade security, we politely agreed we wouldn't and offered him a balloon. He backed away from it as if he saw Satan in its Mylar reflection.


And he wasn't the only one with that reaction. People were highly suspicious of the balloons, and when they saw there was a note attached, they practically ran away before we could say it's for charity. Sometimes we said "Want a balloon?" (sounds too pedophilic), "Human charity experiment!"(sounds strange enough that people would listen for two more seconds), and"Can I give you a balloon to give to someone else?" (worked best, though for some this demanded too much of a commitment).


We eventually found ten people to take the balloons, some excited, some hesitant, some confused. One of them was Kalimba who just happened to be on the Promenade, and at that point I was so frustrated by the lukewarm reception, I forced her to take one. I believe I said, "This is all your fault."


As we walked down the street, we saw balloons floating alongside people we hadn't given them to, so presumably we thought the experiment was going well, people must have been passing them to others. Then we saw some balloons had been abandoned, tied to bike racks and tree fences. Remembering the earlier warning (don't tie balloons to posts or rails) we rescued them.


That¹s when we met the Balloon Man, an elderly gentleman who works on the Promenade selling balloon animals. He asked if we had a permit. We, of course, didn't. He said he was going to call the police. We told him we were just giving the balloons away for a charity experiment. He told us that was illegal. We said ...What?


Then the annoying Promenade security guy marches up. I actually panic for a moment -- but then realize he's not security at all. He's the Balloon Man's overgrown presumably home-schooled son, and it turns out they're both just looking out for business by keeping competing balloons off their street.


A nearby petitioner/busker steps in and says to us You're trying to do something good for people who need it. That [balloon] man's just trying to make money. And your balloons are prettier. We gave him the last balloon and went home.


Over the next few days, I watched the website, waiting for the comments to pour in. They didn't. Days passed. Nothing. Nada. Until finally there was a comment! It was from Kalimba. Of course it was.


Finally realizing the experiment was a bust, I sat down to write this entry.I checked the website one last time, just to be sure, and there it was: the second comment. This time it wasn't from Kalimba, nor was it spam, as I worried it might be. It was from a complete stranger who gave 10 dollars to another stranger all because of a balloon. Balloon number six to be exact.

1 comment:

Jason Vaughn said...

The balloon man probably didn't have a permit either. I apologize on behalf of all annoying and stupid balloon artist. We aren't all like that.