Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Warden and the Streets

A word from Lil' O about The Warden:

David A. is a character like no other. He's odd and funny, elusive and sensitive, talented, and genuine and I have come to call him "The Warden" for reasons that are not nearly as funny as the title itself. Here's what he created for the street of NYC with $20~




The Warden's story:

Well, I decided to split the money in two and create a NYC Homeless Helper Package, a package filled with intensity and support. for 10 dollars each (with a few extra dollars from me for each guy) I was able to put together a nice package: -Mainly food-water-multivitamin packs-emergenC packs-sampler size moisturizer-some dentyne ice chewing gum the first guy, who refused to give me his name, is the guy who's wrapped up in the newspaper hat and coat... I asked him what kind of food he wanted and he said he'd just take the cash, but not so fast, this is not a handout for malt liquor or smokes it's for a NYC Homeless Helper package. he finally said he'd just take a couple of helpings from the nearby hotdog vendor cause he was really hungry. i then added those vittles to the existing goodies and tried to talk to him some more but he got really belligerent and ended up telling me to back off and that next i'd wanna know his "dick size" and that i could just "suck on one of the Italian suasages" I got for him. I ended up leaving him to his own privacy.

Sadly, a lot of questions on mental health of the homeless arise here. I hope he had a good meal and uses the other stuff and feels a little better. the second guy, is the tallish gentleman, who told me his name is Garland Wright. He wasn't picky but I recomended he have something hot and hearty and something he'd either never had or something he hadn't had in a long time. So he could really get a kick out of it and feel the warm nourishment entering his system, and the goodness of a delicious meal. He was kind of indecisive. He said he used to really like fish, so I went around the corner to whole foods and got him a huge piece of roasted salmon on a bed of corn and black bean salad and some tomato eggplant bisque and some tortellini. I also stopped and got him some neosporin cause he was telling me how F'd up his feet were, swollen and infected. so i got him some ointment to put up in his game. He was a really nice guy who was originally from Chicago. He used to work in construction but an accident left him injured and down on his luck. I send him the best and hope he gets in to a better situation. i know this brightened his day...

No comments: