Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Stacy, Shree and the Clinic

A word from Lil' O about Stacy:

Stacy and her daughter Shree will blow your mind with their beauty both inside and out. Shiney, soulful, mischeivious. My life in LA would not be nearly as full if they were not in it. Here's their story of $20~


Stacy's Story:
when kali asked me to do the 20 $'s for good, it didn't take me long to come up with what i wanted to do. i have medi-cal insurance which is a low income healthcare with no co-pay. one saturday night shree had such thick congestion and harsh coughing that i took her into a 24 hr clinic. I was under the impression that the clinic was always covered by my insurance, but it turned out that weekend visits cost fifty dollars. This was a ton of money to me that particular month. I decided to trust and spend the money, not able to bear listening to my sweet shree's wheezing through her congestion, even if it put us further from paying the already daunting rent.This story almost immediately came to mind when kali challenged me to do good with twenty bucks. I brainstormed for a a situation where the twenty bucks could have a large impact. I came up with the clinic.

I decided to go look for a family with a sick child to share the good with. i came to the clinic on a sunday quickly found a family with 3 kids and stopped them on there way in. They were hispanic and spoke little english. i tryed to explain to them what i was doing and asked if i could share the twenty dollars with them. they were confused and turned down the money, seeming a offended by the offer. they approached the desk and i watched as the mother of the kids talked with the woman at the clinic. They spoke in spanish so i couldn't understand every word, but i could comprehend enought to understand when the mother was taken aback that her full coverage medi-cal insurance wasn't going to wave the fifty dollar fee.
After a string of questions, the mother looked defeated. Finally, she shyly looked over at me and without words, asked me for the money. I smiled and gave her the twenty. She thanked me in english. The family did not want their pictue taken, but their son was happy to pose next to his sick baby sister. He was the only one who spoke english in the family. he says he is a good older brother and helps out his mom and dad alot.the experience was a sweet one, and a sad one too. i am grateful i was a ble to play a part in helping a little girl receive the healthcare she needed.

No comments: