Thursday, April 24, 2008

Clark and The Conservatory

A word from Lil' Oprah about Clark:

Clark is a fellow southerner and for that reason alone I adore him. Fortunately for all that know him, his charm extends far beyond this simple fact. He's patient beyond all reason, he's a fantastic cook, and he's got one of the most unique writing voices I've ever read. He's both gifted and a gift and I love being in his presence.






Clark's Story~
I attended public schools in the 1970s and 80s when arts education programs were strong and diverse. Yes, even in deep-fried Alabama, the state legislature recognized the importance of the arts. They even established the Alabama School of Fine Arts, my alma mater.

I've always made my living as a writer. I chalk that up to my early exposure to various arts disciplines, all of which made me well-rounded when it came to expressing myself. I never particularly excelled at drama or music, but acting in plays and blowing saxophone in the high school band showed me how being a team player can express one's individuality. It helped me understand how difficult yet rewarding it can be to create something.

In today's school systems, arts education is often put on the chopping block for budgetary reasons. Short-sighted, numbers-oriented bureaucrats fail to recognize that exposure to the arts makes for smarter, happier, more productive people. Instead, too many of our public schools are being reshaped into worker education camps for future Wal-Mart employees. That means I probably won't have much competition for writing jobs in the future, but forgive me if I still think it's a cryin' shame.

Until we reorient, refocus, and re-fund arts education in America, we'll depend mightily on any and all extracurricular programs trying to take up the slack. One of the most amazing examples is the Silverlake Conservatory of Music here in LA. http://www.silverlakeconservatory.com/silverlakenew2.html

Founded in 2001 by Flea, the bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the non-profit Conservatory's goal is to get children playing music. Flea says that without his school's music programs, he might've picked up knives or guns instead of the bass. The Conservatory is his amazing way of providing similar opportunities for today's kids.

Classes are open to adults and children for just $25 per half-hour, but the focus is providing free music classes (and instruments) to children year-round. Operating costs come from donations fundraiser concerts. Artists like Eddie Vedder, the Ditty-Bops, Jack Black and Damien Hirst have given their time and talents to these showcases. And there are recitals throughout the year, featuring student ensembles such as the Not More Than 20-Peace Orchestra, the Funk All-Stars Workshop, and the Vocal Jazz Ensemble.

This weekend I grabbed a fine cuppa joe from Intelligentia next door and sat a while watching the traffic in and out of the Conservatory. A mom trailed her young shaggy-haired son as he marched in, drumsticks rapping a mean rhythm on his thighs. A thin teenage girl sat nearby, studying sheet music while her fingers moved absently on an invisible keyboard. Later, an old lady strode purposely down the sidewalk carrying a battered violin case. She was smiling as she anticipated her upcoming lesson. Had she played the violin when she was younger? Or had she owned this violin for years, and was now finally enjoying the opportunity to take lessons? Maybe she was just here to donate the violin to a child who didn't have one.

Inside the Conservatory, you hear the distant plink of a piano, the low rumble of a brass horn being tuned, and the piercing squeak of someone learning to play a woodwind. I hadn't had a saxophone lesson in decades but already I felt at home.

I spent time talking to a nice staffer, who was immensely grateful when I presented my $20 donation. She said it would go to the summer scholarship program for children. And damned if she didn't convince me to do something more than donate. It appears that I'll soon be taking up
the saxophone again after all these years.In a Conservatory newsletter, I found this amazing testimonial:

"My name is David and I am 10 years old. I love music because it is fun and relaxing. When I was in the hospital I always thought about playing the guitar. I am home now and I am enjoying the guitar lessons. Playing the guitar is a new experience for me in my life because I was sick for eight years with leukemia. Now I'm so happy!"

We all need the opportunity to make music in our lives. Thanks, Kali, for reminding me of that.

No comments: