Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cynthia the "American Mom"

A word from Lil' Oprah about Cynthia:



Cynthia has the gift of "getting it done". When she puts her mind to something, consider it accomplished. She can be tough as nails, but she is also one of the most sensitive people I know. That duality was a huge blessing during our trip to Asia last October and I felt incredibly blessed to have her as my travel companion. It was a life changing trip for both of us.






Cynthia's Story:



A few months ago, Kalimba and I went on a fantastic adventure to Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. While we were at the Angkor Wat temples in Cambodia, we ran into 2 sweet children selling postcards. Although we resisted buying their trinkets, we did end up inviting them to have lunch with us so they could practice their English. Somehow Angelina, I mean, Kalimba, picked up 2 more children along the way. We quickly decided to ditch our sightseeing plans and spent the rest of our time in Cambodia with the kids (who now included 2 siblings, bringing our flock count to 6). We committed to send the children to English school (only $120/year for each child) and upon our return, Kalimba and I sent out e-mails to family and friends to gather donations. I formed a charity, Davana Foundation, for the children as well as other projects close to my heart.
Now, Kalimba and I are the proud "American Moms" of 8 children (yes, we added 2 more!), who are now attending English language school in Cambodia. All the joys of parenthood without the stretch marks! My $20 went to Davana Foundation. Thanks Lil Oprah!

No comments: